Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Today's word for the day...

is addiction. 

I was watching the news this morning and was shocked at what an epidemic heroine has become for American teens.  The first time they try it they're hooked and only 1 in 10 addicts ever actually kick the habit. 

So it got me thinking...

addiction
  (ə-dĭk'shən)  Pronunciation Key 
  1. A physical or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, such as a drug or alcohol. In physical addiction, the body adapts to the substance being used and gradually requires increased amounts to reproduce the effects originally produced by smaller doses. See more at withdrawal.
  2. A habitual or compulsive involvement in an activity, such as gambling.
     


    I grew up in a home of addiction.  It came in the form of booze, shopping, hoarding, working, eating, smoking...  the list goes on.  I've often thought that I have an addictive persona, but thought nothing of it really...

    So today I really gave it a little thought. What am I passing on to my kids?  So there are two things I would like to cut back on...  OK I just deleted 2 excuses.  So with out the excuses, I'd like to not feel the grip that sugar and TV have on my life. 

     I want to feel better, be less distracted, play more, and in general experience more joy from living my life. Sounds good right? Will I do it?  I don't know.  But, I'm thinking that confessing it here makes me a little more accountable. 

    So if you're reading this, I'm going to ask you to pray for me, stand with me for those times I struggle to stand on my own.  I also want you to send me a prayer request for you, something I can focus on when the going gets tough.  I'll pray in general for everyone who reads this, but I want to be focused in my intercession for you. 

    I can do this, with your help, and with God's grace and strength.  I will promise to post my progress. 
     Oh and can someone send me a box of milk bones? Cujo thinks he's about to have free reign...g

No comments:

Post a Comment